My guilty pleasure when eating out at restaurants is a hot appetizer of spinach artichoke dip. This sandwich was inspired by one I saw from A Couple Cooks. I wanted to add a little extra protein into this beautiful vegetarian sandwich so I decided to do away with the sour cream and mayo you'd find in traditional spinach artichoke dip and add some hummus instead. The hummus not only added the protein I was looking for, it also added the creaminess back into the filling by not having the sour cream.
These sandwiches were devoured by my family, including all my three kids having seconds. That makes this new recipe a winner in my book! The recipe makes 4 sandwiches. Play around with the ingredients and add more or less for how every many you need to feed your hungry family.
If you'd like to make this vegetarian sandwich vegan, simply leave out the cheese and brush the bread with extra virgin olive oil instead. The hummus will still keep this filling creamy, delicious, and satisfying.
Spinach Artichoke Hummus Grilled Panini
3 cups fresh spinach- washed, dried, and chopped
4 artichokes, chopped (from a 6 ounce can)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 heaping tablespoons prepared hummus (I used my avocado hummus)
1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
sea salt to taste
8 slices whole wheat Italian bread
1/4 cup butter, for spreading
1. Prepare your grill for indirect heating.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the spinach and a pinch of salt. Sauté until the spinach becomes wilted. Add the artichokes and stir.
3. Pour off any extra liquid and stir in the hummus and cheeses.
4. Butter the outside of the bread slices with butter. Spread the inside of the bread slices with the spinach artichoke mixture.
5. Place the sandwiches on the indirect side of the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. Slide the sandwiches over to the hotter side of the grill for about 1 minute per side- just long enough to get some nice grill marks.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
Other grilled sandwiches you may enjoy:
Grilled Pesto Panini Sandwich
Provolone White Bean Grilled Panini with Basil & Tomato