Thursday, June 13, 2013
Roasted Cauliflower Grilled Cheese with Greens and Mustard Aioli
Roasted Cauliflower Grilled Cheese with
Greens and Mustard Aioli
(Adapted from Daphne Oz)
1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium sized head cauliflower, florets removed from core
salt and fresh cracked black pepper
10-12 slices whole wheat panini-style bread
1 cup washed baby arugula or baby greens
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 jalapeño, minced fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Toss the cauliflower florets on a rimmed sheet pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring half way through.
3. In a medium sized skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the sliced onion and a small pinch of salt. Caramelize the onions down for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, stir the ingredients for the aioli together and set aside.
5. When the cauliflower is done cooking, give it a rough chop on a cutting board so all the florets are small and bite-sized. Place the cauliflower in a bowl and add the caramelized onions and the grated cheese.
6. Set a pan or stove-top griddle or outdoor grill to a medium low heat. Spread 1 slice of bread with some aioli. Top with a little of the cauliflower mixture, a small handful of greens, and more cauliflower mixture. Butter the bread lightly and cook until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Other grilled sandwiches you may enjoy:
Grilled Sweet Onion Panini with a Garlic White Bean Spread
Guacamole Grilled Cheese
Pesto Panini Sandwich
Provolone White Bean Grilled Panini with Basil & Tomato
Spinach Artichoke and Hummus Panini
Posted by Mama J at 12:38 PM