Who needs meat?
I'm sure many of you are saying, "I do!"
But you have to agree, this grilled tofu that has been marinated in beer and barbecue sauce is really a thing of beauty.
(And it tastes good too!)
Beer Barbecued Tofu
(Inspired and adapted from: The Edible Perspective)
1 package extra firm tofu
1/2 bottle good quality beer
1/3 cup (HFC free) barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 sweet onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1. Cut the tofu into eight slices and place on top of several dish towels.
2. Wrap them up and stack a few books on top. Let it sit there for about 30 minutes.
3. Find a good drinking beer for the marinade. You'll only need half the bottle. (Enjoy the rest!)
4. Place the beer, ginger, onion, barbecue sauce and garlic in a glass dish. Add the tofu, turning to cover with the sauce, and marinate for at least 1 1/2 hours in the refrigerator.
5. On a hot, preheated grill- use some tongs to grease your grill grate very well with a paper towel soaked in oil. Place your tofu on the grill and let it sit there, without moving it, for 7 minutes. Brush the tofu with the marinade while it's grilling. Flip (re-greasing the grill if necessary) and grill for an additional 7 minutes- brushing with the marinade.
My husband threw the onions that were in the marinade on the grill to go along with the tofu and they were fantastic served on the side.
We served this along with some grilled potatoes and grilled radicchio.
Serves 4 people. (This recipe is easily doubled.)
Featured on: Foodgwaker
Linked to: Midnight Maniac, Fave Diets