This is my mother's recipe, and I'm sure most home cooks have a recipe just like this in their own recipe box. But, if by chance you don't, then you now have no excuse to not have an "old fashioned cookie" recipe in your recipe box too.
Old Fashioned Frosted Butter Cookies
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons, unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
tiny pinch of salt
milk to thin
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together. Add the egg yolks and vanilla; beat.
3. Add the flour and salt and mix until combined.
4. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
5. Flatten cookie to about 1/4 inch thickness with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
8. Mix the icing ingredients and frost.
A classic comfort cookie.
Linked to: Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoed Life