Cast Iron Skillet Granola Apple Bread (or muffins):
1 medium macintosh or granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup granola (plus extra reserved for topping)
1 tablespoon ground flax seed (optional)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg (separated*)
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 400F. If using a cast iron skillet, place it in the oven while it is preheating. If using muffin tins, grease or prepare with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, brown sugar and egg yolk- set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until soft beaks form- set aside. (*If you are using white flour, this step is not necessary. Add the whole egg in the step above. Beating the egg white will help lighten the wheat flour.)
4. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, flax seed, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the granola.
5. Add the wet ingredients (*not the egg white) to the dry. Stir just until blended. Gently fold it in the egg white, then the chopped apple.
6. If using a cast iron skillet, add about 1 tablespoon butter and melt. Pour the batter into the hot pan. Sprinkle with additional granola and bake for about 25 minutes. If using muffin tins, divide the batter between 12 - 14 muffin tins. Top with additional granola and bake for about 20 minutes.