Ordinary waffles are transformed into the extraordinary with this delicious recipe. When you top waffles with gooey buttery cinnamon sugar and a drizzle of icing, your family will be begging you for more! I came up with this recipe by mashing up my favorite waffle recipe with my cinnamon roll pancake recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Cinnamon Roll Waffles
For the waffles-
2 tablespoons corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
For the topping-
1/2 a stick of butter, very soft
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the glaze-
1 cup powdered sugar
1 ounce cream cheese (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
1. Mix the very soft butter (almost melted, but not quite), brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Fill inside a 1 quart zipper bag. Set aside.
2. Mix the powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, and milk together. Fill inside another 1 quart zipper bag. Set aside.
3. For the waffles, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda together. Stir with a whisk and set aside.
4. Mix two egg yolks (save the whites in a small mixing bowl), buttermilk, and the melted butter together. Stir with a whisk and then pour it into the dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
5. Beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter until no white streaks remain.
6. In a preheated waffle iron, cook the correct amount of batter according to the time specified for your waffle maker.
7. Snip a tiny corner off the zipper bags and drizzle the waffles with the cinnamon sugar mixture and then the icing.