One skillet is all you need for this easy dinner! Serve up this colorful and flavorful dish with a slice of warm corn bread for a delicious, healthy, and satisfying meal.
Easy Black Bean and Rice Veggie Skillet
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sized zucchini, diced
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup white or brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup sliced green onions
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 3 minutes, until it begins to turn translucent.
2. Add the diced red and green pepper, and zucchini. Sauté for about three more minutes.
3. Add the corn, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Stir in the can of tomatoes, rice, and water.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and then cover with a lid and simmer, on low heat, for about 20 minutes, until the rice is tender. (Brown rice will take about 30-35 minutes.)
5. Stir in the beans and turn off the heat. Let stand for 7 minutes. Top with cheese and green onions.
Linked to: Weekend Potluck