My children love when I make up a big batch of Easy Homemade Marshmallows. Come winter, we usually have a jar of them sitting out for the season. These peppermint marshmallows are a twist to the original recipe and make the perfect addition to a cup of warm hot chocolate.
Candy Cane Marshmallows
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
3/4 cup water, divided
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4-1/3 cup crushed candy canes, reserved
1. Line a 8x11.5 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Brush the paper with vegetable oil and set aside.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer, add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water. Sprinkle the gelatin over the the water and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
3. In a sauce pan, add the 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons corn syrup, salt, and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Without stirring, allow the mixture to continue cooking until a candy thermometer reads 238 degrees F.
4. With your whisk attachment, mix the gelatin on low speed. In a steady stream, pour the hot syrup slowly into the gelatin. Gradually bring your mixture up to high and beat until the mixture is stiff- about 12 minutes. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the reserved candy cane. Set aside, uncovered, for about 3 hours. Slice and dip all sides in powdered sugar.