If you love to indulge with a box of cherry cordials around Valentine's Day, then these brownies are for you! Dark chocolate pairs beautiful with this delicious maraschino cherry buttercream frosting that gets crowned with an extra drizzle of dark chocolate.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Cordial Brownies
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup dark cocoa
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
For the frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained, juice reserved
1 tablespoons milk
1-2 teaspoons reserved maraschino cherry juice
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cup dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x11 inch pan.
2. Drain the cherries and coarsely chop them. Spread them out on a paper towel to dry slightly.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, dark cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
4. Melt the butter and pour into a large bowl. Whisk in the dark chocolate chips until melted.
5. Whisk in the sugar and then the eggs.
6. Stir in the dry ingredients.
7. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.
8. For the buttercream, beat the butter together with the powdered sugar and extracts. Add the milk and maraschino cherry juice until it reaches a desired consistency. Fold in the chopped cherries.
9. Frost the cooled brownies. Chill for 30 minutes and then cut into squares.
10. Melt the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips and stir in the oil. Drizzle over the frosted cut brownies.
Other brownies you may enjoy:
Candy Cane Buttercream Brownies
Dark Chocolate Brownies with Sea Salt
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies