In this delicious vegetarian dish, thinly sliced cabbage gets cooked down with onions in olive oil until sweet and caramelized. When tossed with toasted buttery bread crumbs, pasta, and parmesan cheese- it makes for one amazing dish!
Caramelized Cabbage and Onion Pasta with Bread Crumbs
(Adapted from The New York Times)
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3-4 slices fresh bread, torn into pieces
2 tablespoons fresh sage
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
sea salt to taste
1 pound whole wheat pasta, cooked al dente in salted water
1/4 cup reserved pasta water
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 small to medium sized head cabbage
2 large yellow onions, sliced thin
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
Toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
1. In a food processor, place the garlic, fresh sage, and bread pieces. Pulse in the food processor until you have fine bread crumbs.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and add the bread crumbs. Stir and toast for about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, turn on the heat to medium-high and add the olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, and the remaining garlic. When the oil is hot, add the sliced onion and cabbage, along with a pinch of salt. Stir the cabbage and onions until they begin to reduce and caramelize, about 15 minutes.
4. Add a 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water to deglaze the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan with the water to release all the brown bits that have formed on the bottom of the pan.
5. Toss your cabbage/onion mixture in with the pasta and bread crumbs. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Top with toasted walnuts and adjust seasoning to taste.
Linked to: Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen, The Real Food Forager
Featured on Foodbuzz Top 9