Raspberry Heart Meringues (Gluten Free)
(Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens)
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon raspberry jam (room temperature)
6 drops red food coloring (optional- I didn't use it)
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200F. Line two large cookie sheet pans with parchment paper.
2. In a small mixing bowl, mix the two sugars together. In another small bowl, mix the raspberry jam and (optional) red food coloring. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form (when the beater is lifted, the tip of the egg whites should softly curl.) Add the sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for 5 to 7 minutes on medium speed, or until stiff glossy peaks form (the tips stand straight up) and all the sugar is dissolved.
4. Use a spatula and gently fold 1/2 the meringue mixture into the jam, then gently fold jam/meringue mixture into the remaining meringue.
5. Use a pastry bag (I used a zip lock bag with the tip cut off) and pipe meringues into hearts, or Xs and Os.
6. Bake for 1 1/2 hours and then turn off the oven and allow to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
Linked to: Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Gooseberry Patch, Katherine Martinelli