Whole Wheat Raspberry Jam Swirl Bread:
2 cups whole wheat flour*
1 tablespoon each vital wheat gluten and ground flax seed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
good quality raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. If using a cast iron skillet, preheat your skillet in the oven at this time. If you choose to make muffins, line your muffin tin with foil liners.
2. Mix the flour*, vital wheat gluten, and flax seed , baking powder, and salt together with a whisk. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, oil, egg, and sugar together.
*PLEASE NOTE: If you are not using the vital wheat gluten and are using all whole wheat flour, I recommend beating the egg white separately until soft peaks form and fold in at the last minute. Mix the egg yolk in with the liquids. This will give you a less dense bread. (This is what the vital wheat gluten will do as well.)
4. Stir the liquids into the dry ingredients. Stir just until the flour is incorporated.
5. Fill paper lined muffin cups with batter or remove your hot cast iron skillet, add a little butter and swirl around. Add half the batter and dollop the surface with jam. Add the remaining batter and dollop the surface with jam.
6. Run a knife back and forth, first going top to bottom, then repeat going left to right.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes.
Some other cast iron skillet breakfast recipes you might enjoy:
Browned Butter Strawberry Banana Walnut Bread
Buttermilk Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Cast Iron Skillet Banana Bread
Easy Cast Iron Skillet Biscuits
Granola Apple Bread