Don't get too hung up on ingredients with these burgers. Add a little or a lot of whatever ingredients you like best. Additional ingredients you can add in could be raw sesame seeds, pepitas, hemp seeds, chia seeds, millet seed, and ground flax seed. I served these burgers on some homemade hamburger buns made with my light whole wheat brioche recipe.
Easy Veggie Burgers
2 1/2 cups chic peas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
a handful of fresh cilantro
2 grated carrots
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup walnuts
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup diced red and/or green pepper
a healthy pinch of sea salt
1. In a food processor, combine the first 9 ingredients (chic peas to the cumin).
2. After the ingredients are mixed in the food processor, pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the onion, corn, red pepper, and salt.
3. Take a large handful and form into a patty. Place on a cutting board and flatten the top as you rotate and flatten the sides with the palms of your hands.
4. Cook on a grill or a skillet coated with a little extra virgin olive oil- about 3-4 minutes per side.
5. Load up your favorite toppings or freeze and save for later.