(Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
Cooking for Today: Muffins & Breads)
2 1/2 c. flour
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large Granny Smith apples- peeled, cored, and sliced
2 tsp. lemon juice
Crumb Topping (to follow)
Lemon Icing (to follow)
1. In a large mixing bowl add 1 c. flour and the yeast.
2. In a sauce pan heat the milk, butter, salt, and sugar just until warm. (The butter will not be completely melted.) Add to the flour/yeast mixture and beat, with eggs, for about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour by hand.
3. Divide dough between two greased cake pans. The dough will be sticky, but spread it out the best you can.
4. Toss sliced apples with 2 tsp. lemon juice and arrange over the top of the batter.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
8. Lemon Icing: In a small bowl combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of water to make drizzling consistency. Mix till smooth.
9. Invert onto plates and drizzle with lemon icing.
Makes 2 kuchens.