8 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
*1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
*1/4 cup dark, raw honey
*1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup butter (or coconut oil)
1/4 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/4 cup raw walnuts, chopped
2 T. ground flax seed (optional)
dash of cinnamon (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
2. Melt the butter, honey, brown sugar, and orange juice together. (*For a slightly sweeter granola, you can bring each of these measurements up to 1/3 cup. If you're short on anything, just use 1 cup honey.)
3. Toss together with the oats, flax seed, and chopped nuts.
4. Divide the granola between 2 rimmed sheet pans. Dust the granola with a little cinnamon.
5. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
6. Cool completely. Continue stirring as it cools. Store in an airtight container.
*Because this granola is lower in fat and sugar, you won't have as many of those "big chunky" pieces of granola like you're used to. But, every once in awhile you'll get one of those beautiful big chunks....
Updated May 2016