Fluffy Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
2 layers of chocolate cake (find my recipe here)
mini peanut butter cups (for topping)
1 stick room temperature unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter (I used Smucker's)
4-5 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
generous pinch of salt
4-6 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
1. Beat the butter, shortening, peanut butter together until light and fluffy.
2. Add the salt and vanilla and mix.
3. Add 4 cups the powdered sugar alternately with 4 tablespoons of milk. (I like to have extra milk and sugar on hand in case the frosting needs to be adjusted for consistency.)
4. Beat until light and fluffy. (For a more traditional frosting, do not beat as long and use closer to 2 tablespoons of milk for a stiffer frosting to spread or pipe.)
5. Divide the frosting in half between the two layers of cake.
6. Top with mini peanut butter cups (optional) and enjoy!