These probably top my list of my favorite Christmas cookies. My sister and I have birthdays in December and January and exchange our two favorite cookies as gifts every year. She gives me a tin of her fabulous Mint Sticks (recipe to come) and I give her a tin of these Raspberry Almond Glazed Shortbread Rounds.
The flavors of raspberry and almond top these delicious and crunchy shortbread rounds. Whether for a holiday cookie exchange or your family dessert table, these cookies are sure to become a favorite.
Raspberry Almond Glazed Shortbread Rounds
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons almond extract
small amount of water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. Mix in the flour and salt until combined.
4. Form the dough into 1 inch balls. (The dough will appear crumbly, but will quickly soften in your hands and form into a smooth ball as your roll it between your hands.) Place the cookies on a parchment lined sheet pan about 3 inches apart.
5. With the bottom of a melon ball scoop, or the handle of a wooden spoon, gently depress the center of each cookie and fill with about 1/4 teaspoon raspberry jam.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
7. When the cookies are cool, combine the powdered sugar and almond extract. Add enough water to make the glaze pourable. Drizzle the glaze over the cookies. Allow the glaze to harden before serving.