Quick and Easy Apple Skillet Breakfast Cake
Homemade Bisquick Baking Mix-
4 cups all purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
2 cups whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur's white wheat)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup butter, cubed
(*see directions below)
2 cups baking mix (from above)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or melted coconut oil)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large chopped apple (like honey crisp or granny smith)
1 tablespoon butter (for the skillet)
For the streusel-
1 tablespoon "Bisquick" mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. with a 10 inch cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats.
2. Mix the streusel topping together in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Combine the milk, oil, egg, and brown sugar together with a whisk. Stir in the baking mix, cinnamon, and apple.
4. Remove the cast iron pan from the oven and add the butter to the hot skillet. After the butter melts, add your batter and top it with the streusel mixture.
5. Bake for 25 minutes until the center is done. Cool 10 minutes before slicing.
*For the baking mix: Combine everything in a food processor and pulse until the butter is the size of small peas. You can divide this in half and make two batches if it won't all fit in your food processor at one time. Store in the refrigerator.