Don't let fourteen cloves of garlic scare you away from this delicious recipe! A beautiful thing happens when you slowly cook garlic in oil- the oil infuses with the garlic flavor and the garlic itself begins to mellow.
Lentils and quinoa cook together in one pot making this an easy dish to toss together while your potatoes are roasting in the oven. The arugula in this recipe is not only loaded with calcium and vitamins which makes for a healthy leafy green vegetable, but it's also an annual herb adding a delicious subtle peppery flavor.
This dish tops off nicely with an extra drizzle of olive oil. I used Star Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Roasted Garlic for an added garlic kick... delicious!
Got leftovers? This dish makes for a great cold salad the next day.
Garlicky Quinoa and Lentils with Wilted Arugula and Roasted Potatoes
For the salad-
1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup brown lentils, rinsed
1 small onion, chopped
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
8-10 cloves garlic, divided
1 punch flat leaf parsley, rinsed and chopped
4 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
5 ounces arugula, washed and spun dry
2 1/2 cups water, divided
For the potatoes-
3 pounds small red potatoes, cut into 1/4s or 1/8ths
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
Additional optional toppings:
Himalayan pink sea salt
freshly cracked pepper
crushed red pepper flakes
shredded parmesan cheese
extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. On a large rimmed sheet pan, toss together the potatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Roast for about 45 minutes to an hour or until the potatoes are browned and crisp. Make sure to flip and stir the potatoes at least 2 or 3 times during the cooking.
3. Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. When hot, cook the onion, along with a pinch of salt, on medium low heat for about 10 minutes. Stir the onions occasionally.
4. Add 1 clove of garlic to the onions and stir until fragrant. Add the lentils along with 1 1/2 cups hot water and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add the quinoa along with 1 cup of hot water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and fluff the quinoa/lentils with a fork. Cover with the lid so it continues to steam while the potatoes finish cooking.
7. In a small sauce pan on a very low flame, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with about 8 (or more) cloves of minced garlic. Allow the garlic to infuse the oil for about 5 minutes. Be careful that the garlic doesn't begin to brown. Add in the lemon juice, and 2 additional tablespoons of oil. Add in a pinch of crushed red pepper, and some salt and pepper to taste.
8. In a large bowl, toss together the lentil/quinoa mixture along with the arugula and parsley. Toss this together with the warm garlic lemon dressing.
9. Serve with the roasted potatoes.