I love olive oil. From pancakes to popcorn our family drizzles it over everything. Recently my favorite brand of olive oil, STAR, sent me a beautiful assortment of olive oils and vinegars. I couldn't wait to get cooking with them. Before I share some of the recipes I came up with, I thought I'd share with you how I use olive oil for breakfast. Now I'm thinking that some may find olive oil in pancakes a little strange, but trust me, if you love the flavor of olive oil, you will love this recipe. Even my kids devour these!
Olive Oil Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons STAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2-3/4 cup dark chocolate chips, roughly chopped
1. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and olive oil. Set this aside.
3. Add the liquids to the dry, along with the chopped chocolate chips, and stir just until combined. DO NOT OVER STIR.
4. Pour the batter onto a preheated griddle lightly greased with olive oil. Flip the pancake just when you begin to see bubbles forming on the surface.
5. Serve with warm pancake syrup.
Olive oil and dark chocolate in one bite? Yum!
*Star Olive Oil provided me with a free sample of this product, and I was under no obligation to review it. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.