This bread is perfect when you don't have much time but are craving the smell and taste only homemade bread can bring.
Freshly sliced, warm from the oven, and smeared with butter- you too will be in love.
Wonderful for breakfast or serve as a hearty bread for dinner.
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread aka "Easy Little Bread Recipe"(From 101 Cookbooks via Gran's Kitchen: Recipes from the Notebooks of Dulcie May Booker)
1 1/4 cups warm water (105-115F)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon dark, raw honey
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
2-3 tablespoons melted butter
1. In a bowl, stir together the yeast, warm water and honey. Allow to set for 5-10 minutes, or until the yeast blooms and poofs up.
2. Meanwhile, mix the flours, oats and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet mixture and stir well.
3. Brush an 8-cup loaf pan generously with about 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Add the dough and cover with a piece of oiled plastic wrap. Keep in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise. Preheat your oven to 350F.
4. Remove the plastic wrap and pour the remaining melted butter over the top of the bread. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
5. Remove the bread from the loaf pan and allow to cool on a rack.
This bread is best served warm...
...with a big smear of butter.
Linked to: 33 Shades of Green, Foodie Friday, Amee's Savory Dish